YOUTH MUSIC THEATRE
Our Youth Music Theatre programs are a fun-filled adventure into the world of music theatre! For young people who love to perform, create characters, and express themselves through song and dance, Youth Music Theatre explores the fundamentals of music theatre performance. Classes will involve dramatic exercises, ensemble music and creative movement, culminating in a final showcase performance in our studio theatre. The final performance will be held at the end of the term showcasing the students in excerpts from a musical.
Winter 2018 Schedule
Mondays: 7:15-8:30pm – January 8 – March 26, 2018
What We Provide
- A small classroom environment for optimal learning
- An average teacher-to-student ratio of 1:6
- Qualified, enthusiastic instructors
- A state-of-the-art facility equipped with professional sound and lighting
- Scripts and sheet music
- Costumes and props
- Dress rehearsal and performance for friends and family
- A fun-filled experience!
- Ensemble and solo vocal performance – musical notation, harmonies, storytelling through musical dynamics
- Creating deeply realized characters, through motivation and backstory
- Understanding of theatrical conventions: archetypes, story structure, interpreting stage directions
- Focus and presence
- Line and monologue memorization
- Collaborative scene and script creation, as a collective and in pairs
- Storytelling and emotional connection through movement
Sample Youth Schedule
Week 1: Meet your instructors, and your new friends! In our first class, we learn about our fellow performers, and receive show materials to take home.
Weeks 2-4: We work on our performance skills through dramatic exercises and activities, incorporating voice and movement, along with learning our music and creating a story. We explore our characters and their motivations, and how they might inform our performance. We also practice our songs and lines at home so we can be prepared for the show!
Weeks 5-8: We stage and polish our performance, using the techniques we’ve learned and our own understanding of characters and story. We work together and contribute our ideas to create an original performance. We use a variety of movement styles to create a dynamic production.
Week 9: Dress rehearsal! We try on our costumes and practice our final performance before the audience arrives.
Week 10: Show time! With lights, props, and costumes, we show our friends and family what we’ve learned in an ensemble performance featuring highlights from a popular musical. Students perform in our state-of-the-art Zlotnik Studio Theatre, with professional lighting and sound, and live piano accompaniment.