JUNIOR Troupe | Ages 7-10
Bravo Academy’s Advanced Music Theatre Troupe Program is a year-long experience dedicated to providing the finest music theatre education in the Greater Toronto Area.
Students work with INDUSTRY PROFESSIONALS and experienced theatre educators to produce high-quality performances, while receiving ADVANCED LEVEL TRAINING in the elements of music theatre. Admission to the program is by audition only, resulting in a FAST-PACED CREATIVE ENVIRONMENT where budding artists can truly shine. Music theatre encourages children to use their IMAGINATION, work as a team, develop communication skills and build self-confidence.
Junior Troupe is a fun-filled year-long experience that introduces young artists (ages 7-10) to the fundamentals of music theatre – the perfect program for the young performer who is ready for a challenge!
Learn more about our Troupe programs!
Our 2020/21 Season
We are excited to be planning a “hybrid” season in Fall 2020, that will allow us the flexibility to move between in-person and online rehearsals or performances. This process may include:
- In-person rehearsals allowed with few restrictions
- In-person rehearsals with many restrictions, which will include limiting the number of students in a room
- Online rehearsals over Zoom
- A full in-person performance at the Meridian Arts Centre
- An in-person performance in our Studio Theatre, live-streamed to audiences at home
- An online-only performance over Zoom
Prospective students for our 20/21 season should be comfortable with working in either an in-person or online format, as we’ll likely be using both while observing physical distancing restrictions. Rehearsing over Zoom presents unique opportunities to collaborate in a new and exciting way! Since moving our rehearsals online in March 2020, students and teachers have been making amazing progress and discoveries, and putting together incredible performances, such as our Spring Teen Intensive Super School.
Our Fall 2020 Season (to be announced in Summer 2020) will feature musicals that allow flexibility to be performed online and/or in-person. We are excited to be collaborating with writers and licensing houses on developing new shows!
Junior Troupe begins the year with several weeks of skill-based workshops, focused on vocal performance, movement, and character work. The fall term culminates in a showcase performance; students perform short scenes and musical numbers from your favourite musicals, including a sneak peek at our spring production.
Students then audition for their roles in our spring musical, a full-scale Junior Musical. The remainder of the year is dedicated to rehearsing the spring show, which will be presented at the Toronto Centre for the Arts Studio Theatre in North York. Through the rehearsal process, students will learn to create unique characters, work collaboratively with team members, develop ensemble performance skills, and gain confidence!
Rehearsals: Mondays, 5:00-6:30pm
Sunday Rehearsals: 3-4 per term, 9:30am-12:30pm
Fall 2020 Tech Dates: Nov 22nd-23rd
Fall 2020 Show Dates: Nov 28th-29th
Fall 2020 Show!
The Musical Adventures of Flat Stanley Online Edition
All of our Troupe programs are audition-based and highly competitive. Troupe auditions are held annually in early May for the following school year. Once accepted, students also audition mid-fall for their role(s) in the spring production. While students do not require past music theatre experience to audition, successful applicants are those that demonstrate a high level of singing and acting ability in the auditions. In addition, a positive attitude, willingness to learn, and overall energy are major factors.
Junior Troupe audition requirements include:
- 1 music theatre song (age appropriate, 32-bar selection)
- 1 monologue (30 seconds or under in any style)
- Sheet music for accompanist (preferably double-sided, hole-punched and in a binder)
- Completed audition form
- Resume (optional)
Full audition requirements, along with helpful preparation tips and resources, are available on our Audition page.
What You Gain
- Learn music theatre fundamentals
- Improve your singing, dancing, and acting
- Make friends with other young performers in your community
- Build confidence
- Gain leadership and teamwork skills
- Grow creatively in a supportive environment
- Improve presentation skills
- Prepare for further studies or professional opportunities in music theatre
- Work with industry professionals
- Gain valuable performing experience
- Make lifelong friends
- Have fun!
What We Provide
- Highly skilled and credentialed industry-professional instructors
- Show materials including script and score
- Detailed schedules and rehearsal resources on Student’s Corner
- Access to audition postings for professional opportunities
- Workshops and master class opportunities with guest artists to further your development
- State-of-the-art rehearsal facility
- A fully-realized production in a professional setting
- Full set, lights, costumes, hair and make-up designed by a team of professionals
- Full-time Production Stage Manager
- Double-cast shows that allow more students to shine in lead roles
- Official Troupe t-shirt