Bravo Academy’s Advanced Musical Theatre Troupe Program is committed to providing the HIGHEST QUALITY and INNOVATIVE performing arts training. Our mission is to inspire ARTISTS, create MUSIC and help students realize their DREAMS!
Musical theatre encourages children to use their IMAGINATION, work as a TEAM, develop COMMUNICATION skills and build SELF-CONFIDENCE. We are committed to providing an inclusive environment, allowing students to explore their passion and develop their skills.
Senior Troupe is a year-long experience for young artists ages 13-18. Students work with industry professionals and experienced theatre educators to receive advanced musical theatre training, and produce two high-quality performances per year. Admission to the program is by audition only, resulting in a fast-paced creative environment which emulates a professional experience.
All performances take place at Meridian Arts Centre Studio Theatre. Past productions have included musicals such as Something Rotten! Jr. Pilot Edition., The Addams Family, and many more.
Senior Troupe is a great program for a performer who is passionate about musical theatre, and is ready for a challenge and to take their skills to the next level. Admission to the program is by audition only.
Entrance into the Troupe Program
- 2 songs (16-32 bars, age-appropriate, with accompaniment/karaoke track). One piece ideally is from a contemporary musical and the second piece can be from another musical or a pop/rock song.
- 1 monologue (60 seconds or less, any style)
- All videos must be uploaded as an unlisted YouTube video.
- Click here to submit today! (DEADLINE: Auditions will be accepted on an ongoing basis until all spaces are full)
All of our Troupe programs are audition-based. Troupe auditions are held annually in April/May. If spots remain following the deadline, submissions are accepted until all troupes are full. All students accepted into a Troupe will be cast in a role. We limit the number of students we accept based on the number of roles available in the musicals we are producing. Students are not required to have past musical theatre experience to audition for a Troupe.
Visit our Troupe Audition page to learn more about auditions and how to submit.
Senior Troupe is a full year program divided into two terms, Fall and Spring. The Fall Term runs from September to December, and the Spring Term runs from January to May.
Shows are announced a minimum of 3 weeks prior to the start of each term. Each term begins with role auditions, and ends with the performances of a fully produced musical. Audition material will be shared a minimum of three weeks in advance, and all casting decisions are made by the Artistic Team (Director, Music Director and Choreographer).
Much time and careful consideration is taken to ensure that students are cast in a suitable role(s) that are within their vocal range and are dramatically appropriate. Each show is unique, and has different vocal, dance and dramatic demands. Troupe productions are carefully chosen in order to provide as many roles as possible. Principle roles are double-cast whenever possible (meaning two students share the same role and alternate performances).
Weekly Rehearsals: Wednesdays 6:30pm-8:30pm, Extended Call: 8:30pm – 9:00pm
Additional Rehearsals: Approximately 3-4 additional rehearsals per term will be held on Sundays throughout the year, normally from 12:45-3:45pm. The exact time will be communicated in advance.
Important Dates for Senior Troupe
Spring Start Date: Early January, 2024
Spring Tech & Dress Rehearsals: Tech is on Saturday April 6th and Dress Rehearsals are on Wednesday April 10th and Saturday April 13th.
Spring Shows: April 14-15
***These dates are subject to change. All tech, dress, and show dates require mandatory attendance. We strive to maintain the schedule as outlined, but due to unforeseen circumstances if we must change important dates, we do our best to provide ample notice.
- Senior Troupe students are required to attend all Wednesday rehearsals.
- Student call times will fluctuate Sundays and during Extended Calls pending the production’s needs. Eg. Students may be called for an entire Sunday/Extended Call rehearsal or may not be called at all.
- Rehearsals details are scheduled in advance, and are posted on Students Corner.
Spring 2023 Performances are on Sunday April 14th and Monday April 15th
All performances and tech/dress rehearsals will take place at Meridian Arts Centre Studio Theatre.
Students will see their show come together with full lights, microphones, set, costumes, and hair and make-up. Tickets go on sale via Ticketmaster in collaboration with Meridian Arts Centre approximately 3-4 weeks before opening.
- Troupe Orientation Night
- Show Rights
- Students Corner
- Rehearsals in our fully accessible, custom-built facility
- Artistic Team: Director, Choreographer, and Musical Director
- Production Manager
- Professional Designers: Set and Props, Sound, Lighting, Costume, Hair and Make-up
- Stage Management Team
- Theatre Technicians
- Front-of-House Team
- Performances held at a professional theatre
- Professional Photos
- Archival Video Licensing Rights when available**
Students Corner: The rehearsal schedule is overseen by a full-time Production Stage Manager and posted on Student’s Corner, our password-protected webpage just for Troupe students. Student’s Corner is where you’ll find not only detailed rehearsal schedules, but also choreo videos and music tracks to help you practice at home.
Team: Bravo Academy is pleased to work with a team of professional designers and teaching artists, including many Dora Award-winning artists and those who have worked on major stages such as on Broadway and the Stratford Festival. It takes many incredible people to put on one of our shows and we are grateful to have an amazing team that is dedicated to providing and incredible experience.
Rehearsal Space: All Troupe rehearsals are held at our fully accessible and custom-built facility, in the Zlotnik Studio Theatre, which offers ample space for staging and choreography.
*We provide major costume elements. Students are responsible for footwear and supplementary items, as required and as outlined in advance of performances.
**An additional fee is charged for those that would like to order an archival video when we are permitted by the licensing house to film.
All Troupe programs run at an advanced level. In order to maintain a high quality program students are expected to:
- Attend all rehearsals
- Arrive early with appropriate clothing and footwear
- Have lines memorized before each staging rehearsal
- Have music prepared and memorized for each choreography and staging rehearsal
- Review staging, choreography and/or music before each rehearsal
- Participate with enthusiasm, positivity, and an eagerness to learn
- Respect fellow students and instructors throughout the rehearsal by quietly observing when not actively rehearsing
- Leave cell phones and other distracting devices in their bags during rehearsal time (unless given specific permission to record)
Spring Tuition: $1,412.50 + HST
Annual Registration Fee: $40 + HST per. student, maximum $60 fee per family
Tuition includes professional photos of each show.
Bravo Academy is a proud partner of the Arts Access Fund providing opportunities and support for those who otherwise would not be able to participate in our program. Students who need financial assistance in the form of a bursary or scholarship are encouraged to apply after acceptance to the program.
What Our Students Gain
Stay In Touch
If you would like to stay up-to-date on what we’re up to in our Troupe program, join our mailing list.
If you have specific questions about the program, get in touch.