Auditions for 20/21 Troupe! Click here for more information!
Senior Troupe | Ages 13-18
Bravo Academy’s Advanced Music Theatre Troupe Program is a year-long experience dedicated to providing the finest music theatre education in the Greater Toronto Area.
Students work with INDUSTRY PROFESSIONALS and experienced theatre educators to produce high-quality performances, while receiving ADVANCED LEVEL TRAINING in the elements of music theatre. Admission to the program is by audition only, resulting in a FAST-PACED CREATIVE ENVIRONMENT where budding artists can truly shine. Music theatre encourages children to use their IMAGINATION, work as a team, develop communication skills and build self-confidence.
Studio Troupe is the program where young artists (ages 13-18) begin to build professional-level music theatre skills, with an emphasis on conduct, preparation, and collaborative creation in the rehearsal room.
Learn more about our Troupe programs!
Our 2020/21 Season
We are excited to be planning a “hybrid” season in Fall 2020, that will allow us the flexibility to move between in-person and online rehearsals or performances. This process may include:
- In-person rehearsals allowed with few restrictions
- In-person rehearsals with many restrictions, which will include limiting the number of students in a room
- Online rehearsals over Zoom
- A full in-person performance at the Meridian Arts Centre
- An in-person performance in our Studio Theatre, live-streamed to audiences at home
- An online-only performance over Zoom
Prospective students for our 20/21 season should be comfortable with working in either an in-person or online format, as we’ll likely be using both while observing physical distancing restrictions. Rehearsing over Zoom presents unique opportunities to collaborate in a new and exciting way! Since moving our rehearsals online in March 2020, students and teachers have been making amazing progress and discoveries, and putting together incredible performances, such as our Spring Teen Intensive Super School.
Our Fall 2020 Season (to be announced in Summer 2020) will feature musicals that allow flexibility to be performed online and/or in-person. We are excited to be collaborating with writers and licensing houses on developing new shows!
The year is divided into two terms: Fall and Spring. The end of each term culminates in a full-scale production of a junior or full-length musical at the Toronto Centre for the Arts.
Each term, students will audition for roles, giving them the opportunity to practice preparing material and auditioning in front of a panel. Students are cast by the artistic team, often in both principal and ensemble roles.
The rest of the term is devoted to rehearsal, including staging, choreography, and music. Through the rehearsal process, students will learn to create unique characters, work collaboratively with team members, develop ensemble performance skills, and gain confidence!
Rehearsals: Wednesdays, 6:30-8:30pm
Sunday Rehearsals: 3-4 per term, 1:00-4:00pm
Fall 2020 Tech Dates: Dec 2nd, 9th
Fall 2020 Show Dates: Dec 11th-12th
FALL 2020 SHOW!
Music by Colleen Dauncey
Lyrics by Akiva Romer-Segal
Book by Matt Murray
Going Under (formerly The Subway Songs) is a contemporary musical that explores urban life through a group of strangers on their morning commute. When the subway train they are all riding comes to a screeching halt, they are cut off from the world above and forced to face their biggest anxieties and deepest insecurities, and must ultimately learn to reach out to each other. With an array of endearing characters and a diverse collection of songs, this ensemble show is perfect for colleges, high schools and indie theatre companies looking for fresh material.
All of our Troupe programs are audition-based and highly competitive. Troupe auditions are held annually in early May for the following school year. Once accepted, students also audition for their role(s) at the beginning of each term. While students do not require past music theatre experience to audition, successful applicants are those that demonstrate a high level of singing and acting ability in the auditions. In addition, a positive attitude, willingness to learn, and overall energy are major factors.
Studio Troupe audition requirements include:
- 2 music theatre songs (age appropriate, 32-bar selection)
- 1 monologue (60 seconds or under in any style)
- Sheet music for accompanist (preferably double-sided, hole-punched and in a binder)
- Completed audition form
- Resume (optional)
What You Gain
- Learn music theatre fundamentals
- Improve your singing, dancing, and acting
- Make friends with other young performers in your community
- Build confidence
- Gain leadership and teamwork skills
- Grow creatively in a supportive environment
- Improve presentation skills
- Prepare for further studies or professional opportunities in music theatre
- Work with industry professionals
- Gain valuable performing experience
- Make lifelong friends
- Have fun!
What We Provide
- Highly skilled and credentialed industry-professional instructors
- Show materials including script and score
- Detailed schedules and rehearsal resources on Student’s Corner
- Access to audition postings for professional opportunities
- Workshops and master class opportunities with guest artists to further your development
- State-of-the-art rehearsal facility
- A fully-realized production in a professional setting
- Full set, lights, costumes, hair and make-up designed by a team of professionals
- Full-time Production Stage Manager
- Double-cast shows that allow more students to shine in lead roles
- Official Troupe t-shirt